Friday, February 28, 2020

On to Nerja

To get to Nerja, which is along the southern coast of Spain, we hired a private driver from a company called Team Daytrip.  We had planned two stops along the way.  According to Francisco our driver, one of the stops was not worth it.  He suggested that we check out the Sacromonte Abbey in Granada instead.  Fransisco thinks its a shame that many tourists to Granada never see Sacromonte.  We took his advice and I would say that the views from there were definitely worth it.  I do have a funny story about our Sacomonte  Abbey experience though.  There is a guided one hour tour of the Abbey.  Because we are in low season here, the tour is only given in Spanish.  We decided to take the tour anyway and so we followed along with about 20 other Spanish people.  It was an odd, surreal feeling being led through some narrow underground catacombs without understanding what we were seeing.  I understood every 20th word and did not understand a single joke, but I laughed anyway because hey, the whole situation was hilarious. 

View of the Alhambra Palace from Sacromonte Abbey


A church within the Abbey

A courtyard at the Abbey.


With Fransisco at the wheel we hit the hiway. going south of Granada.  The speed limit signs are posted at 120 km/h and so of course we travelled between 130-140 km/h most of the way.  Our next stop was a visit to a castle in the sea side town of Salobrena.

Hand on the wheel buddy.  10 and 2!!  :)

ZOOM!



On top of the Castillo de Salobrena.  I found it interesting to see all the agriculture around the town of Salobrena.  So many lush fields of lettuce.  Now I know where the fantastic salads come from that I've been buying in the supermarkets here.


Because this area of Spain is much more tropical, they are able to grow avocados and mangoes here.





Lettuce and other produce being grown in Salobrena


Thank you Fransisco for your wonderful service and interesting conversation.


No comments:

Post a Comment