Thursday, February 20 is the day we set aside to experience the Mezquita of Cordoba and to climb its tower. The top of the tower is where the call to prayer was proclaimed, 5 times per day, during the days of Muslim domination. It is a perfect place to appreciate the immense scale of the Mezquite-Cathedral complex.
The bell tower from below
The Mezquita with the Catholic Cathedral rising to the heavens from the center.
The double arches of the interior of the Mezquita seem to go on into infinity
The Cathedral is quite awe inspiring
I've noticed something about Catholic faith in Spain. There seems to be a religion within a religion that I never noticed at home. The adoration that Spaniards hold for Mary and the immaculate conception, borders on fanatical idolatry. I say this as a matter of fact and am in no way trying to be disrespectful. I'll just say that if there was an election here, Mary might be beating Jesus in the polls.
Again
Mary is the divine pastor
And again
AND AGAIN
GO MARY GO MARY......WOOT WOOT!
View of Roman bridge from tower in museum on opposite side if the river
The Alcazar of the Christian Monarchs is really not worth anyone's time. However, the gardens that come with the price of admission are spectacular.
Orange tree in the Alcazar of the Christian Monarchs
I love the way the orange trees are pruned
If I only owned this tree, I could make so much limoncello
The streets if Cordoba are a confusing, garbled and senseless mess, even if using google maps. We had decided on not going out to eat tonight. We attempted to get a few things at a supermarket and just eat in our room. This worked well for us in Sevilla but not so well in Cordoba. After walking around like chickens with our heads cut off for over an hour, we made a decision to eat at a Jewish restaurant near our hotel. I'm so glad we did.
Ann's chicken and pomegranate with cabbage and pineapple
My roast lamb in filo dough with roast peppers, cabbage and jellies
No comments:
Post a Comment