Saturday, February 29, 2020

Lazy rest and recovery day in Nerja

February 28 is the Andalusia day holiday in this part of Spain.  I knew something was going on when I noticed so many children around this morning and later saw that a lot of shops were closed on a Friday.  For most of the afternoon, the plaza outside of our hotel room was used as a staging area for families on bicycles to leave on community led parades around town.  There was so much energy here today.  There was maybe too much energy and noise for Ann and I.  We were both feeling rather tired after the last 2 weeks of sight seeing.  After a wonderful breakfast at the hotel and a short walk to a few nearby beaches, we really needed an actual Spanish siesta in the early afternoon.  Despite all the loud music and people on loud speakers outside, we both managed to fall asleep for a short, much needed rest.

This part of Spain is much different from what we experienced earlier.  In this area known as Costa del Sol, they very much cater to a large population of British tourists and retirees.  I've also notices many Germans and Scandinavians.  The charm of the traditional Spanish tapas bar does not exist here.  Due to our relative youth, Ann and I seem to be getting mistaken for locals.  I find it comical when Spanish people start asking me for directions.

My morning coffee enjoyed with the little green parrots flying around




In Nerja, the orange trees are all blooming and full of honeybees.  They smell heavenly!










We went to the Spiral Restaurant for a nice supper.  The waiters there speak perfect English.  It just seems weird.  It was a nice restaurant but the two waiters both looked like Spanish pirates, complete with the big earrings and long scruffy hair.  They are quite the characters and excellent at their profession.  I decided that since we are in fake Spain right now that I would have some fun with the waiter and so when he came around asking about our drinks, I ordered an Old Fashioned.  He had never heard of such a thing but with the use of the internet, he made me  a very tasty Old Fashioned.  The pirate received a good tip!

Balcon de Europa




No comments:

Post a Comment